Beauty oils are a huge trend, both locally and internationally, and the excitement around them shows no signs of abating anytime soon. And rightly so – they are great at soothing, protecting and nourishing the skin, hair and body.
It’s interesting to note that human beings have been using oils for beautification purposes for hundreds of years. In Ancient Egypt, everyone from royalty to laborers used them to ease sore muscles and protect their skins from the sun. The Greeks were especially attracted to the use of scented oils. In fact, Hippocrates recommended the use of body oils in the bath. Argan oil has been used for hundreds of years in the Middle East, and is still considered one of the best treats for skin and hair.
This got me thinking about the first beauty oil I ever used?
It must have been around 2003 – I was fashion editor of True Love Magazine at the time, pregnant with my daughter, and suffering with severely itchy and dry skin on my body. I remember chatting with the beauty editor and asking her to recommend something affordable to ease and soothe my skin. She recommended Bio-Oil and explained to me that not only was it great at reducing scars and preventing stretch marks, it was wonderful for hydration. She even suggested I use it on my face! ‘But I have oily / combination skin,’ I remember saying – ‘How can I use an oil on my face?’
She explained how one of the biggest misconceptions around oils is that they aren’t suitable for combination or oily skin types. She went on to clarify how using the correct oils on this skin type can reduce acne scarring and even breakouts.
After using it on my face for a few weeks, I was amazed at how it balanced my skin and sorted out my dehydration issues (often, oily and combo skin types suffer with dehydration). Also, I only got one stretch mark during my pregnancy. Bio-Oil is dermatologically tested, hypo-allergenic and non-acnegenic (won’t clog pores & cause breakouts) and contains no preservatives, making it great for ALL skin types.
Bio-Oil is also a fantastic anti-ageing treat for the skin because it contains Vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant that protects skin from environmental pollution. It also has an anti-inflammatory action, and let’s not forget, it’s inflammation that causes premature ageing.
Also included in the formula is:
- Calendula oil, which is excellent for treating severely dry and irritated skin while stimulates collagen production and minimizing scarring.
- Chamomile oil gives the formula it’s soothing properties and it great for calming redness and irritation.
- Lavender oil brings its unique antiseptic and anti-fungal properties to the formula, assisting in scar reduction while speeding up healing.
- Rosemary oil firms slackened skin, while stimulating biological activity and cell growth – making it very effective at reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Then there’s the special, trademarked breakthrough ingredient called PurCellin Oil. PurCellin Oil is the result of many years of research and is the ingredient that distinguishes Bio-Oils texture, absorption and feel from other oil-based products. It is a recreation of oil secreted by ducks during preening that creates a thin, no-greasy water repellent layer over the tops of the ducks feathers.
Bio-Oil also does a great job at reducing the appearance of pigmentation marks and uneven skintone. This I can attest to first hand. I, like a lot of women, had terrible sun damage on my décolletage. The area was wrinkled and badly pigmented. Last year July, I started treating the area with Bio-Oil (see post here) and have seen a VERY visible improvement. While its not perfect, there are less fine lines and the overall tone and texture is far better.
Aside from using my Bio-Oil as a face and body moisturiser, I’ve been experimenting and have found some other handy uses for it:
- In summer, I mix a drop or two with my liquid bronzer for a gorgeous dewy glow.
- I smooth it onto my plucked brows to minimize redness and soothe skin.
- Of late, I’ve been suffering with a dry scalp and find that when I mix three drops with my shampoo, it reduces itching and flaking. It’s also great at taming flyaway hairs.
- I always add a few drops to my bath to soften my skin.
- Because it contains chamomile and calendula extract, It’s great at soothing sun parched skin. I always slather it on after a day spent outdoors.
I can honestly say that Bio-Oil has, and will continue to be a staple in my beauty routine for the foreseeable future.
I love this brand so much, I’m giving one lucky reader the chance to win a beautiful toiletry bag with three, yes three bottles of Bio-Oil inside – a 60, 125 & 200ml all valued at R630. To enter, leave a comment below telling me why you love Bio-Oil and how it’s helped your skin. I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday 22 April.
Bio-Oil is available at pharmacies and select retail outlets nationwide in 60ml (R49.99), 125ml (R74.99) and 200ml (R104.99). For further information visit www.bio-oil.com or follow Bio-Oil South Africa’s Facebook page.