If there’s one make-up product that gets me excited, it’s a great foundation.
You see, foundation is a transformative product because it has the ability to give any complexion a flawless appearance. So, to me anyway, it makes sense to spend a little more on this particular product. The correct formula can conceal a multitude of skin issues form dark spots and pigmentation, to redness and broken capillaries – all while boosting the skin with beneficial ingredients.
My top tips for choosing a foundation:
- Look for a formula that suits your skin type.
- Try 3 different colour stripes on your cheek – the colour that almost disappears into your skin is the correct colour for you.
- Foundations with a yellow undertone tend to look more natural, especially for olive & darker skin tones.
- Before purchasing a foundation (especially if you’ve tried it on in a store with artificial lighting) pop outside and see what the colour looks like in natural light.
Below are three fantastic new foundations with clever technology and great ingredients.
Environ Even More Hydra + Foundation
The new Even More Hydra + foundation by Environ (R440) is formulated to moisturise and provide the skin with light to medium even coverage. It has a wonderfully rich and creamy texture that allows it to effortlessly glide onto the skin, covering imperfections and evening skintone. A cocktail of skin-beneficial ingredients have been added:
- Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract and Vitamin E acts as antioxidants, while moisturising
- Ginseng Root brightens
- Sodium Hyaluronate promotes continuous hydration
I also find this foundation works incredibly well when mixed with my day cream (you could use any brand – I currently use Dermalogica) to create a wonderfully lightweight tinted moisturiser. I think it’s best suited to normal, combination and dry skin types. Unfortunately only 4 colour options are available in the range, and they are on the (very) light side…Sigh
Find your closest Environ stockist HERE
Sisley Sisleÿa Le Teint Anti-Ageing Foundation
Would you pay R2000 for a foundation?
I’m not sure I would (unless I won the Lotto), but, believe it or not, there are many women who would. Upmarket French brand Sisley has a loyal following, and specializes in outstanding anti aging products that deliver great results. If you love the brand, and need a really good treatment foundation, then meet the new Sisleÿa Le Teint Anti-Ageing Foundation.
This beauty is designed for mature skins that are concerned with dullness – typical of aging skin. Not only does it cover imperfections with it’s light, hydrating formula, it also works to smooth, plump and boost skin radiance. Two mica minerals have been added:
- A Crystal mica acts a bit like a profusion of little mirrors that bring radiance to the skin.
- A healthy Glow Mica containing pearly pink reflections add a freshness and glow to the complexion.
Also included is a blurring agent that minimises skin imperfections, as well as Boron Nitride micro particles that give a soft-focus correcting effect. These micro particles diffuse light at 180 degrees to fade the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
When it comes to the formulas treatment benefits, this foundation targets the deterioration of cellular energy with the following ingredients:
- Persian Acacia Extract to promote cellular production
- Chlorella Extract that is highly concentrated in vitamins, minerals, trace elements and amino acids. It works to boost the cells metabolism.
- Red Vine Extract that firms and tones.
- Soy Peptide Extract reduces the appearance of wrinkles and firms.
- White Willow Extract & Vitamin E Acetate that work as antioxidants to counteract free radical production
- Cherry Blossom Extract & Wheat Sugar Extract promote the retention of water in the skin, reinforcing both short and long term hydration.
I’ve been wearing this beauty for the past few days now, and love how it adds an instant glow to my skin. I also LOVE that it has a yellow undertone, as I find this makes for a far more realistic looking coverage – especially for medium, olive and darker skin tones. The formula is quite lightweight, but you can build it up. While it claims to last 8 hours, I find I need a bit of a touch up in the afternoon, around 3pm. This is most definitely a formula suited to a more mature women who is concerned with lack of radiance, discolouration, wrinkles and lines. The shade range is a tad limited though – there are only 8 colours available.
Lancôme Teint Idole Cushion Formula
Lancôme Teint Idole Cushion Formula (R499) is a medium to full coverage foundation that feels really, REALLY lightweight on the skin. It contains micro pigments that blur any imperfections, as well as a gelling agent that makes it easy to smooth onto the skin. When applied onto the skin, the gelling agent evaporates, causing the temperature of the skin’s surface to immediately drop by 1.7°C. This allows for a sensation of freshness, as well as ensuring the foundation sets all day for a long wearing result.
The packaging is super innovative too, and uses Cushion Polar technology that’s designed to adapt to a thicker, creamier texture that offers high coverage. A sponge cushion, covered with mesh composed of interlacing fibers with large spaces, filters the formula when pressed on, to ensure a thin, even application.
While you can certainly apply this foundation with fingers, I think the sponge applicator (included) does a great job of evenly spreading the product. This foundation effectively covers any uneven skin tone, dark marks and small, broken red capillaries. I also like that it leaves my skin with a bit of a dewy look.
Also available is a refillable Teint Idole Ultra Cushion (R350) that fits into the case with just one click, making it easy to switch shades or adapt them to the changing season.
Tell me, what is your favourite foundation, and which of the three I’ve blogged about today appeals to you the most?