When it comes to makeup, I’m all about bold lips. I believe that wearing a strong, eye catching lip colour like red, bold pink, purple or orange is the quickest way to make a statement with your makeup.
I was so excited when I received the new Rimmel London Only 1 Matte Lipstick press drop. It was packed full to the brim with the most gorgeous matte lippies. Now, if you read my blog with some regularity, you’ll know I LOVE a matte lipstick. Why? Because they generally last longer – so you use less product, the colour payoff is far more intense, and I think they give the lips a bit of an edgy (Goodness, I use that word SO often!) vibe. The only downside to matte lipsticks is that they do tend to dry out the lips.
I was interested to learn from the press release that the new Rimmel London Only 1 Matte Lipstick (R119.95 each) is a non-drying formula, that’s comfortable to wear. The oil is absorbed on application, creating a thin film between the skin and the pigment. This, apparently, eliminates that typical dry sensation felt with matte lippies. The “Run The Show” – a bold shade of purple – immediately caught my eye, so I swiped it on. I was impressed to see that just one application gives the lips a perfect, opaque finish.
The formula doesn’t drag (my worst) and has a really nice lightweight sensation. I was SUPER impressed with the colour payoff – even though I have to admit, when I first applied it, it did feel a tad drying. However, after about half an hour it felt better – maybe it’s to do with the heat from my lips almost ‘softening’ the formula.
Even though the Only 1 Matte Lipstick is not billed as ‘Longwearing’, I decided to put it to the test and was impressed that it lasted a good 3 hours, before I needed a touch-up. The formula has volatile silicon to give smooth and even colour release, which helps set the lipstick.
There are eight striking new matte shades:
- Leader of the Pink #110 – a pretty pink shade that suits all skintones.
- Salute #200 – a beautiful, wearable neutral pink.
- Take The Stage #500 – A bold, racy red.
- Look Who’s Talking #750 – A deep brown that’s perfect for darker skin tones.
- Run The Show #800 – A bold purple, that’s fast becoming my favourite lip colour.
- The Matte Factor #810 – A sumptuous berry tone that’s on trend for winter 2017.
- High Flyer #610 – A beautiful pink that exactly the same colour as the iconic Spice lip pencil by MAC (I’ve been on the lookout a pink like this for years!!!)
- Keep It Coral #600 – A wearable coral with a bit of a peach tone that will look lovely on olive skin tones.
A Nude For Everyone
The Only 1 Lipstick also comes in three new ‘barely-there’ nudes shades – perfect for light, medium and dark skin tones.
- I Dare You #720 will suit light skin tones
- Ain’t No Other #760 is perfect for medium and olive skin tones
- 90’s Baby is THE nude for darker skin tones.
Last but not least, I need to give a quick mention to the Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liners (R99 each) that I received along with the lipsticks. The texture is great – it’s neither too creamy, nor too hard. I also like the slanted tip, which makes for great precision, especially when lining the cupid’s bow. These pencils also twist both ways – up and down. There was not feathering of lipstick after using these.
I got 5 variants:
- Pink A Punch #103 – An intense, almost lumo pink that I adore.
- Call Me Crazy #104 – A bold, tangerine tone that works well with any coral and orange lipstick colours.
- You’re All Mine #101 – A rose pink tone
- Peach Peach #102 – a pretty peach colour
- Under My Spell #105 – a dark and vampy grape tone that works well with most darker tones of lipstick
Well done Rimmel London on a stunning collection that’s so well priced and perfectly on trend. You’ll find all these products at Clicks, Dis-Chem, Foschini Beauty, Pick n Pay stores and pharmacies nationwide.